« What I Did on My Summer Blogcation | Main | Picturing Retirement: Quality Time »

August 17, 2011

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Tom Sightings

Funny how you lose weight on vacation -- yes, because you move around more and get more exercise. I went off red meat about five years ago. Don't miss it at all. I still eat chicken and fish, but a red, quivering bloody steak -- yuck!

I also tried to swear off the high fructose corn syrup. That stuff'll kill ya' I've been reasonably successful with that (lots of bottled water) but every once in a while I just have to have a Snapple or a Coke. And a glass of red wine (no corn syrup there!)

Good luck with your new and more healthy lifestyle!

P.S. French fries are terrible; but like anything else, if indulged in only rarely, it won't do you no harm.

Jacq

Here's my question about the "recommended" fruits and veggies - if someone like my dad - who at 91 years of age, pretty much ate nothing but RED meat (ie. STEAKS and gobbling the fat off roasts) and potatoes (albeit mashed or boiled and not french fried) for all of those years - is healthy and fit as a fiddle. (Trust me, it was a major treat to share one box of mandarin oranges among 10 people at Xmas). The one "rule" he has is not to eat processed food, or as little as possible. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy I think.

But I still think it's primarily the luck of the genetic draw. No control over that. But it's nice to think that we're doing something proactive. And I approve of wine. ;-)

Retired Syd

Oh how I envy your dad, I love red meat and potatoes and especially the FAT. Despite his long life, I'm unconvinced his diet would work the same for me. Such a bummer.

Joan

I don't see anything wrong with taking a break from your regular eating once in a while. I live by the 80/20 rule. I try to eat right and exercise 80% of the time and the other 20% I don't worry so much about.

I too think exercise is the key. My 85 year old father's uncles all lived to their 90's. They lived on a farm, ate biscuits, meat and greasy gravy every day and had very little in the way of health problems. They all worked from dawn to dusk though.

Retired Syd

@Joan: That's the same as my farmer grandparents. Bacon and eggs every breakfast and meat and potatoes for dinner. They lived to about 90 (so I have those genes!) But they did eat a TON of fruit and vegetables (that they grew on the farm, and in retirement-in their vegetable garden. And Grandma canned them so they had 'em all year round.)

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Working...
Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been posted. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.

Working...

Post a comment

Your Information

(Name and email address are required. Email address will not be displayed with the comment.)

IMG_2799

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter